jeffknits

Monday, October 23, 2006

Second Noni bag: almost finished

Below are pictures of another Noni bag that I am making. This is the dusty pink and black bag from the "In the sculpture garden" leaflet. This is a fun bag to knit and the flowers are really pretty. I decided to make large flowers: 1 with 20 and 16 stitch petals and 2 with 16 and 14 stitch petals. I used leftover pink yarn from the body of the bag to make the bobbles.

I made the ruffles completely in black. The pattern calls for 3 skeins of pink and there should be enough to make the ruffles; somehow, maybe because of the way I knit, I almost ran out of pink yarn by the time I got to the top of the bag. Thus, I decided to make the ruffles in black, which do not affect the overall look of the bag in a negative way.

This bag is lined with the same fabric as my first bag (I'm not being cheap, just frugal!), which I fused to a layer of fast2fuse stiff interfacing. To make the liner even stiffer, I also stitched on a third layer of another stiff interfacing called Peltex by Pellon. Thus, the bag is nice and rigid and can stand upright all by itself.

I attached the Rowan bamboo handles to the lining using strips of the lining fabric that I folded to show only the pink. All the bag needs now is for the lining to be sewn in place, the flowers stitched on, and some sort of closure attached (maybe magnetic). I may just leave it without the magnetic closure because the bamboo handles do keep the bag pretty secure on top.

I am really happy with the way this project turned out. I showed the bag to the ladies at work and everybody wanted one. Thank you Nora!


Interior lining: pretty good job because I hate sewing. I cut out rectangular interfacings and fabric for the body and triangular interfacings and fabric pieces for the sides. After ironing on the fabric to the fusible interfacing, I glued (yes glued!) the three pieces together using sewing glue.
Pre-felted flowers

Felted flowers. Gorgeous!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home