jeffknits

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

NONI BAG PINK, GREEN AND CREAM

I've decided to join the fray and start felting. I decided on the Noni cute and "sassy" baguette bag with chrysanthemum flowers made with Cascade 220 wool yarns using pale pink, bright pink, cream and green. I thought it was a garish combination, but my other half convinced me otherwise. He said it would be cute for one of our girlfriends to wear in the spring. This bag, along with an in-progress Lily Chin mosaic tunic, will be her birthday gifts in January.

Below are preliminary pictures of the project in progress. Looks like a ginormous striped watermelon. The pattern has a weird way of picking up stitches to do the round ends. I tried and could not figure out the instructions which call for picking up stitches from the wrong side, and then knitting clockwise. I tried to do this, but it was an impossibility; I ended up with reverse stockinette on the right side. Alas, I decided to pick up stitches from the right side like I normally do and managed to finish the round ends with no problem.

Also, there is a mistake in the pattern for the flexible bind-off method. It should say insert needle purlwise through two stitches from right to left; instead, the pattern said to insert knitwise. This is wrong. For reference on this technique, look up Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Knitting without tears" which has detailed instructions and diagrams of the method on page 23.




Below is a picture of the felted project. Bev Galeskas, in her book "Felted Knits" warned against letting a felted project go through the spin cycle. Thus, even though the pattern said to do this, I decided to skip this part. I am lucky to have a front loading Maytag Neptune washer with automatic water level sensor and the ability to be stopped so that I could check the felting process.

I got the dimensions called for in the pattern after repeating the agitating process three times. I used a linen wash by Yves Delorme (a minuscule amount) and simply rinsed the project under cold runnning water after felting was completed.

Surprise! Surprise! I have no conception of size whatsoever. The pattern said the project would measure 16" in length by 19" diameter. I got these measurements, but was quite shocked at how big this actually turned out to be. Oh well! I'm sure this will not be a problem; at least, I hope so.

I used t-pins to shut the project together for drying and placed two Polish china plates to maintain the round ends. I still need to sew on a zipper, attach bamboo handles, knit and felt the flowers and line the bag. I won't get these done until next week when I'll be making another trip to our LYS to get the supplies.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home